00-0186R

RESOLUTION AWARDING CONTRACT TO NELS NELSON AND SONS, INC., FOR GARFIELD AVE AND PORT TERMINAL DRIVE, IN THE AMOUNT OF $418,920.12.

BY COUNCILOR STOVER:

RESOLVED, that Nels Nelson and Sons, Inc., be and hereby is awarded a contract for construction of Garfield Avenue and Port Terminal from I-535 ramp to the Duluth harbor line for the engineering division in accordance with specifications on its low specification bid of $418,920.12, terms net 30, FOB job site, payable out of Permanent Improvement Fund 411, Dept./Agency 035, Organization 2140, Object 5530. Construction will be funded with 80 percent federal aid, in the amount of $335,136.10. The remaining 20 percent, in the amount of $83,784.01, will be shared by the city of Duluth and Seaway Port Authority of Duluth. The city's share of the cost for the project is $11,143.26.



STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: This resolution will authorize the construction of the street improvement project at Garfield Avenue and Port Terminal Drive from I-535 to Duluth harbor line by Nels Nelson and Sons, Inc., for $418,920.12. Construction will be funded with 80 percent federal aid, in the amount of $335,136.10. The remaining 20 percent, in the amount of $83,784.01, will be shared by the city of Duluth and Seaway Port Authority of Duluth. The city's share of the cost for the project is $11,143.26, and is payable out of Permanent Improvement Fund 411, Agency 035, Org. 2140, Object 5530. Nels Nelson and Sons, Inc., was the lowest of the three above companies who responded. Bid No. 00-0198.
 
Tabulation of bids received: February 29, 2000
Nels Nelson and Sons, Inc., Cloquet, MN $418,920.12
Northland Constructors, Inc., Duluth, MN $430,001.70
Ulland Brothers, Inc., Cloquet, MN $497,394.56