BY COUNCILOR LITTLE:
The city of Duluth does ordain:
Section 1. That Section 33-97.8 of the Duluth City Code, 1959, as amended, is hereby amended to read as follows:
Sec. 33-97.8. Alternate side parking.
(a) Except as provided in part (b) of this Section, all persons parking vehicles on streets and highways shall park such vehicles according to the following system:
Beginning 12:01 a.m. on November 1, 1973, and until the end of the week in which November 1, 1973, falls and during every second week thereafter, vehicles shall be parked on that side of the street or avenue which abuts premises, whether improved or unimproved, that are or may be identified with reference to odd numbered addresses.
During the week following the week in which November 1, 1973, falls and during every second week thereafter, vehicles shall be parked on that side of the street or avenue which abuts premises, whether improved or unimproved, that are or may be identified with reference to even numbered addresses.
Every Sunday between the hours 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. shall be a changeover period and the provisions of this Section shall not be in force during such time.
For purposes of this Section, the term "week" shall designate a period beginning and ending at 8:00 p.m. Sunday;
(b) Part (a) of this Section shall not be applicable to:
(1) Any space during the time that the space is regulated as a truck zone or a loading zone pursuant to Section 33-87 of this Chapter;
(2) Any space designated as a bus stop or a taxicab stand pursuant to Section 33-88 of this Chapter;
(3) Any police business zone established pursuant to Section 33-88.1 of this Chapter;
(4) That portion of any street or avenue designated as a no parking zone or space pursuant to sections 33-96 or 33-97 of this Chapter, except where expressly authorized in the resolution establishing the zone, and that portion of any street or avenue designated as a parking meter zone pursuant to Section 33-108 of this Chapter; and if a parking area on only one side of a street or avenue is so designated, the parking area on that portion of the street or avenue directly opposite the designated portion;
(5) Any parking area of that portion of a street or avenue designated as a snow emergency route pursuant to Section 33-97.2 of this Chapter;
(6) That portion of any street or avenue which is designated as a no stopping or standing zone pursuant to Section 33-97.9 of this Chapter;
(c) The city council, by resolution, may exempt any street or highway from the provisions of part (a) of this Section for the period each year beginning at 12:01 a.m. June 1 and ending 11:59 p.m. October 31;
(d) The council may, by resolution, limit the hours of the day during which alternate side parking applies to any street, avenue or any designated portion thereof. Any such limitation shall be noticed by official signs posted adjacent thereto designating the hours when alternate side parking is applicable and designating the area to which the limited applicability of alternate side parking is applicable. During times when alternate side parking is not applicable to any area so designated, other applicable parking limitations and restrictions shall apply.
Section 2. This ordinance shall take effect 30 days from and after its passage and publication.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: The purpose of this ordinance is to allow the designation of time limits on the applicability of alternate side parking to designated streets and avenues. This would allow the flexibility to permit the parking function of streets to vary during the day to meet the changing needs of neighborhoods. Thus, a length of street could be designated for no parking or for unrestricted parking during a portion of the day but be designated for alternate side parking at night to facilitate street maintenance in the area.