BY COUNCILOR GILBERT:
The city of Duluth does ordain:
Section 1. That Plate Nos. 26 and 27 of the zoning district map as contained in the Appendix to Chapter 50 of the Duluth City Code, 1959, is amended to read as follows:
(Reference File No. 06072)
Section 2. That this ordinance shall take effect and be in force 30 days from and after its passage and publication.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE: This ordinance will have no effect on the tax base. This zoning ordinance amendment provides for a zoning change from I-T, Industrial- Technology, to C-5, Planned Commercial, approximately 40 acres of land located in the northeast corner of the Haines and Arrowhead Roads intersection, just south of the St. Louis County Jail.
The Duluth city planning commission approved of this zoning change, by a vote of 8-0-1, following a public hearing held August 8, 2006.
In approving the zoning change the commission made the following findings of fact in support of the change:
1. In comparing the requested change in land use controls, the proposal is consistent in character with the recommendations of the “future land use” map, the existing and recommended land uses on the surrounding properties.
2. The proposed change is consistent with the governing principles (“Reuse Previously Developed Lands” and “Create Efficiencies in Delivery of Public Services”) and policies (“Preservation and Protection; #5" and “Infrastructure and Public Services; #2") of the comprehensive plan.
3. This is an expansion of an existing C-5 zone.
4. The requested zone will enhance the marketability and development potential of the acreage.
5. There are business park and I-T opportunities in the Airpark area less than 1/4 mile north of this area.
Date application received: July 11, 2006
Action deadline: November 8, 2006