INITIAL CONTACT: City Clerk, 330 City Hall, 411 W. 1st St., Duluth MN
TELEPHONE NUMBER: (218) 730-5500.
Any person possessing a dog or cat within the city. The license
period for annual licenses is from January 1 to December 31 and must be renewed every
year. Annual license renewal notices are mailed to current pet licensees each December. NOTE: All proceeds from the license fees, minus any city administrative costs, shall be placed into a fund from which all expenditures are directed specifically to the operation of the city animal control program. This fund shall supplement animal control operations.
**NEW** FORM/FEES: Pet License Application/Fee Structure.
LICENSE INFORMATION NEEDED:
- Owner's Name, Address
and Phone Number.
- Pet's Name, Breed, Color,
Sex, Age and Species (dog or cat).
- Rabies Certificate stating
the rabies shot vaccination and expiration dates, or birthdate if pet is too young.
(Enclose the original
document from your veterinarian. It will be returned
with the license.)
- Spaying or Neutering
Certificate if your pet has been altered. (Enclose the original document from your veterinarian. It will be returned with the license.)
**NEW** LICENSE TYPES:
- Annual. Compliant and noncompliant (see definitions below).
- Lifetime. Compliant only (see definition below).
- Altered. The animal has been surgically sterilized by a veterinarian and/or that the owner is able to provide documentation that a veterinarian has examined the animal and determined that it has been spayed or neutered.
- Unaltered. Any animal for which the owner is unable to provide documentation that the animal has been altered.
- Compliant. The animal is currently vaccinated against rabies and altered.
- Noncompliant. The animal does not meet any or all of the following requirements: vaccinated against rabies, altered and/or licensed.
To obtain a pet license
you can do one of the following:
- Mail the license fee and certificate(s) to the City Clerk's Office and the
license, tag and any original certificates you sent will be mailed
- Bring the license fee
plus the certificate(s) to the City Clerk's Office between
8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.
If you own 4 or more dogs or 4 or more cats, you must also apply for a maximum pet license.