City of Duluth Police Department
Extra Duty Police Services
2030 North Arlington Avenue
Duluth, MN 55811
For instructions on how to hire a Duluth Police Officer please read the following information.
PROCEDURES FOR CONTRACT APPLICATION
- Apply in person at the above address or by fax, between the hours of 8:00 a.m and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Applications received seven business days or less before the event are processed with the understanding that the assignment may not be filled.
- A background check is required for establishments/applicants serving alcohol.
- To view a PDF file of the application click here.
- The applicant will be billed monthly and must make payment upon receipt of billing, in cashiers check, money order, or company check. The City reserves the right to require payment in advance.
- When payments are more than 30 days in arrears, the City reserves the option of suspending the contract. Further extra-duty employment will be withheld until payment of arrears is received in full.
- NO OFFICER IS ALLOWED TO ACCEPT MONIES.
- If an officer works additional hours beyond the end of their regular Extra Duty assignment (e.g. makes an arrest while working extra duty and needs to complete paperwork), the applicant will not be responsible for payment of the additional costs, rather the officer will submit for overtime payment from the City of Duluth.
- If an officer works additional hours at the request of the applicant, the applicant will be billed accordingly.
In cases where refunds are due, a credit or refund will be processed as requested by the applicant.
A routine rate is charged for most Extra Duty job request. The current routine rate for Extra Duty Officers is $55/hour.
The holiday rate charge will be applied to all jobs which begin on the following holidays:
1.5 times the routine rate
Martin Luther King Day (observed)
President's Day (observed)
Memorial Day (observed)
Veteran's Day - November 11
Day after Thanksgiving (observed)
Christmas Day - December 25th
2 times the routine rate
New Year's Eve & New Year's Day (any shift commencing on Dec. 31st at 12:00 pm through 12:00 pm on Jan. 1st)
Independence Day - July 4th
Labor Day (observed)
Thanksgiving Day (observed)
Christmas Eve - December 24th (after 1:30 pm)
NOTE - The Contract Application will reflect the minimum hours charged. The above rate schedule is subject to change. The applicant will be notified of such changes as soon as possible before the increase.
USE OF MARKED SQUAD
Marked police vehicles may be used if they are requested by the applicant and are reasonably required to adequately complete the job the officer(s) are hired to perform. The use of marked police vehicles will be authorized by the Extra Duty Coordinator (EDC) on a case by case basis. There will be NO additional fee for the use of a marked police vehicle when approved.
The Department reserves the right to deny use of marked squad.
Every fourth officer assigned to the same job may require a supervisor be assigned to the job site.
Generally, the guideline is two officers per 400 patrons at establishments serving alcohol, or at the discretion of the Extra Duty Coordinator (EDC), unless unique circumstances exist.
If the Extra Duty Coordinator determines that the size of the event warrants, the applicant will work with the extra duty coordinator to determine the number of officers needed for the assignment. The EDC may determine if more or less supervision is needed for the event.
In cases where the applicant underestimated the attendance, the on-duty Patrol Supervisors may at their discretion notify the applicant that additional officers are needed. Whether or not the applicant is notified, the City reserves the right to assign additional officers and the applicant shall be responsible for the cost of the additional officers.
Cancellations by Applicant:
- Cancellation by the Applicant shall be made at least 24 hours before the assignment begins, unless the cancellation is caused by weather related conditions or natural disaster.
- If the EDC receives less than 24 hours notice from the Applicant, the Applicant shall be charged a minimum of four hours.
- During business hours contact the EDC by calling 218-390-2232 for cancellations (Monday through Friday 8 am - 6 pm)
- If there are cancellations of an impending assignment during non-business hours the applicant should attempt to contact the EDC and if unsuccessful, contact the Patrol Supervisor at 218-730-5150.
NOTE - It is the responsibility of the Applicant to notify the EDC if the business or organization will be closed for a holiday or for any other purpose when extra duty officers are normally scheduled. If the applicant fails to notify the EDC that officers are not needed that day, the normal minimum charges for the assignment will apply.
Cancellations by the Duluth Police Department:
- Cancellations by the Watch Commander or the EDC
- Under extraordinary circumstances, if an assigned officer is unable to fulfill the assignment due to illness or injury and a substitute cannot be found, the applicant assignment may be cancelled.
- The applicant will not be billed for the scheduled hours. If applicant paid in advance, the hours scheduled and not worked will be refunded.
- Cancellations by the Chief of Police
- In the case of a Departmental need or community emergency, the Chief or his designee may cancel extra-duty assignments.
- The applicant will not be billed for any hours not worked.
The City of Duluth is self-insured for general liability and statutory worker's compensation coverage. Police officers assigned to extra duty work are afforded this coverage, and are considered to be City of Duluth employees acting in the course and scope of their official duties while performing this work.
OFFICER NOT REPORTING FOR EXTRA DUTY JOB
If an officer was scheduled to work and did not report, the applicant should notify the EDC at 218-390-2232 or the Patrol Supervisors at 218-730-5150 immediately. The City makes no guarantee nor does it agree that it will endeavor to find a replacement.
If the Chief of Police or his designee determines that it is in the best interest of the department to discontinue extra duty services, the applicant will be notified as soon as possible.
SCHEDULED HOURS CHANGED
The EDC will try to accommodate schedule change requests if made 24 hours prior to the starting time of the event, the City does not guarantee that such request can be accommodated.
MINIMUM HOURS FOR ASSIGNMENT
The minimum number of paid hours for each officer is four.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS
The officers are at all times subject to the policies of the City of Duluth, the laws and Constitution of the United States and the state of Minnesota, and the rules and regulations governing employees of the Duluth Police Department (DPD). A Applicant has no authority over police personnel and is restricted to providing only a general assignment of duties to be performed by the officer. Those assignments never supersede DPD policy or procedures and the Applicant is hereby so advised. Extra duty officers remain under the exclusive control of the City and are accountable for strict adherence to its rules and regulations. Any conflicting rules of the Applicant will be disregarded. The officer shall refuse to perform any duties deemed to be in conflict with the guidelines established by DPD. As determined by the Department, officers may be recalled from extra duty to on duty status.
This application is for law enforcement work only and does not exempt Applicants from obtaining other necessary permits for events.
The City of Duluth Police Department is NOT obligated to provide extra duty services. The City reserves its right to deny an application for extra-duty officers.
DPD officers are not permitted to receive cash from Applicant for any reason whatsoever.