The North Shore Inline Marathon will be held on Saturday, September 19, 2009. As a result of the race, several roads in and around Duluth will be closed for a portion of Saturday morning.
The route is similar to the one used by Grandma’s Marathon. The course includes Scenic Drive, London Road, and Interstate 35 to the Lake Avenue Exit. The entire course will be closed to traffic and parking. It is important to note that Downtown Duluth and Canal Park will be completely open to traffic throughout the race. Park Point will be accessible using Lake Avenue, and the Aquarium can be reached by Railroad Street to 5th Avenue West.
Street closures on Saturday morning:
5:00 a.m. - The north entrance to Scenic Highway 61 will be closed at Two Harbors.
5:30 a.m. - The south entrance to Scenic Highway 61 will be closed near Brighton Beach.
- Alseth Road, McQuade Road, Ryan Road, Homestead Road and Lakewood
Road will be closed at their southern ends.
6:45 a.m. - Half marathon race starts. The full marathon will follow. Southbound traffic from
Highway #61/ Expressway will be diverted onto Superior Street at its
intersection with the Expressway.
- London Road will be closed from 26th to 61st Avenues East. London Road will
remain open west of 26th Avenue East for local business and residential
- Northbound I-35 will be closed at Mesaba Avenue, Lake Avenue, and 5th Avenue
West during the Race.
- Southbound I-35 will be closed at 26th and 21st Avenue East
- Harbor Drive will be closed from the Aquarium to the east entrance of Harbor
- The DECC parking lot will remain open during the race with access on Railroad
- Access to the Aquarium will be from Railroad Street.
- Fifth Avenue West Overpass of I-35 will be closed during the race. Canal Park should
be accessed by Lake Avenue.
Motorists should expect traffic delays along East Superior Street, with possible congestion in both directions. Motorists should also expect delays in the area of Fifth Avenue West and on Railroad Street.
The portion of the course north of McQuade Road should reopen to traffic by 10:30 a.m. The remainder of the course should be open by Noon.