New Year’s Eve Enhanced DWI Enforcement
[Duluth] MN - The Duluth Police Department, St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office, Hermantown Police Department, Proctor Police Department, Floodwood Police Department, UMD Police Department and the Minnesota State Patrol will be partnering in Enhanced DWI patrols to take impaired drivers off the road on Monday December 31st, 2012.
Safe Driving Behavior tips:
· If you plan on partying, plan on a safe ride in advance.
· Designate a sober driver.
· Let family/friends know you will be available at any time to offer a safe ride home.
· Take a cab or public transportation.
· Sleep over at a friend’s house or the location of the celebration.
· Leave your vehicle behind — you can retrieve your vehicle the next day.
· Buckle up. Motorists should wear lap belts low and snug across the hips; shoulder straps should never be tucked under an arm or behind the back — not only is this unsafe, it is illegal.
· Report impaired driving — call 911 when witnessing impaired driving behavior. Witnesses must be prepared to provide location, license plate and observed dangerous behavior.
Please start out your New Year the right way……driving a vehicle while impaired is not worth the risk. The consequences are serious and real. Not only do you risk killing yourself or someone else, but the trauma and financial costs of a crash or an arrest for driving while impaired can be significant. Plan a safe way home before any festivities, designate a sober driver. No matter what happens, do not drive buzzed or drunk this New Year’s Eve!
The efforts conducted by Area Law Enforcement are components of the state’s Toward Zero Deaths (TZD) traffic safety program. A primary vision of the TZD program is to create a safe driving culture in Minnesota in which motorists support a goal of zero road fatalities by practicing and promoting safe and smart driving behavior. TZD focuses on the application of four strategic areas to reduce crashes — education, enforcement, engineering and emergency trauma response.