The North Shore Inline Marathon will be held on Saturday, September 11, 2010. Because of the race, several roads in and around Duluth will be closed for Saturday morning.
The route is similar to the one used by Grandma’s Marathon. The course includes Scenic Drive, London Road, and Interstate 35 to the Lake Avenue Exit. The entire course will be closed to traffic and parking. It is important to note that Downtown Duluth and Canal Park will be completely open to traffic throughout the race. Canal Park, Park Point, the Aquarium, and DECC will be accessible using Lake Avenue from Superior Street, and Railroad Street from Lake Avenue.
Street closures on Saturday morning:
5:00 a.m. - The north entrance to Scenic Highway 61 will be closed at Two Harbors.
5:30 a.m. - The south entrance to Scenic Highway 61 will be closed near Brighton Beach.
- Alseth Road, McQuade Road, Ryan Road, Homestead Road and Lakewood Road will
be closed at their southern ends.
6:45 a.m. - Half marathon race starts. The full marathon will follow.
- Southbound traffic from Highway #61/ Expressway will be diverted onto Superior
Street at intersection with the Expressway.
- London Road will be closed from Scenic Drive to 26th Avenue East. London Road will
remain open west of 26th Avenue East for local business and residential traffic.
- Northbound I-35 will be closed at Mesaba Avenue, Lake Avenue, and 5th Avenue
West during the Race.
- Southbound I-35 will be closed at 26th and 21st Avenues East.
- 5th Avenue West and Harbor Drive will be closed from Michigan Street to the east
entrance of Harbor Drive.
- The DECC parking lot will remain open during the race with access from Railroad
- Access to the Aquarium will be from Railroad Street.
- Fifth Avenue West Overpass of I-35 will be closed during the race. Canal Park should
be accessed by Lake Avenue.
Motorists should expect traffic delays along East Superior Street, with possible congestion in both directions. Motorists should also expect delays in the area of Lake Avenue, Fifth Avenue West, and on Railroad Street.
The portion of the course north of McQuade Road should reopen to traffic by 10:30 a.m. The remainder of the course should be open by Noon.