A Two Harbors man awaiting trial in an ATV theft was arrested this morning in a garage burglary.
At 3:34 this morning, Duluth Police were called to the 2100 block of West Seventh Street on the report of a garage burglary in progress. Officers arrived and found Joshua Nathan Benvie, age 27 of Two Harbors, inside the garage with items from the garage in his backpack. Benvie was taken into custody without incident.
Benvie was transported to the St. Louis County Jail where he is being held pending formal charges for Third Degree Burglary. Benvie was arrested in Duluth on August 10th of this year for stealing an ATV. His next scheduled court appearance in that case is January, 4th, 2011.
The investigation into this morning’s garage burglary continues and no further information is available.
Police would like to take this opportunity to remind citizens of some basic burglary or car prowl prevention tips:
- Keep all doors and windows closed and secured. Open doors and windows are an invitation for burglars. Doors should have dead bolt locks with a 1" throw. All windows should have window locks.
- Always lock the doors and window to attached and unattached garages.
- Secure sliding glass doors. Place a metal rod or piece of wood in the track and install vertical bolts.
- Keep the perimeter of your home, garage, or business well lit and trim surrounding trees and shrubs. Overgrown trees and shrubs serve as perfect hiding places for burglars.
- Never leave clues that you are gone for an extended period. Have a trusted neighbor collect mail and newspapers or put a stop on their delivery.
- Keep valuables out of sight.
- Outside, lock up ladders, tools or lawn furniture.
- Never place keys under the doormat, flower pot or window ledge.
- Park vehicles in locked garages or well lighted areas
- Lock vehicles, take the keys, and remove all valuables.
- Please report any suspicious activity or persons by calling 911